Monday, August 01, 2011

Light Leaks Magazine- End of an Era

"Farewell"
With a very sad heart, I have to report that Light Leaks magazine is ending with issue 19. It has been a great experience working with Mike Barnes and all involved from the very beginning. What started out as an idea on the www.toycamera.com forums, turned out to be something I think every toy camera shooter can be proud of. There was nothing like this magazine on the market. Truly put together by real toy camera users who sacrificed their time and talents to make a magazine we all wanted. Its been a great honor to be associated with this project and people over the years. October 2005 seems like an eternity ago, but I'll never forget that first day I held issue 1 in my hands. Thanks for everything Light Leaks, I'm going to miss you.

Here is Mike's formal announcement:

As you know, we have struggled to keep Light Leaks in print over the past year. We had an excellent plan—with the addition of the Light Leaks Shop and Holgapalooza we felt the financial difficulties could be resolved. Unfortunately those additions required more of our own time. With a growing young family, free time has quickly become our most precious commodity.

While we enjoyed working on Light Leaks over the years, we have come to a point where we must focus on our own careers to support our family. My own interest in toy camera photography has always been a hobby, not a profession. Unfortunately as much as I loved putting together Light Leaks I spent most of my time putting together a magazine about toy cameras, but not actually being able to use those toy cameras myself!

Contributing to each issue of Light Leaks magazine was (I think) an excellent use of my time, and I think all those who contributed will feel the same way. It was always a labour of love for an end product that never lacked in quality. For all of you that have been scoffed at for wielding your beloved low-fi cameras, Light Leaks represented you and why you love what you do.

For current subscribers, you believed in us, and we thank you for that. We would be honoured to have you consider your unfulfilled subscription a donation into helping us pay our final printing payments. We can offer you some of the remaining back issues that we have left, or some of the digital versions we have created (which also includes The Toycam Handbook), however supplies are limited. In addition to creating some revenue from the digital issues, we have had to sell off our entire store inventory to help get this last issue to you.

We will be closing the Light Leaks shop, but keeping www.lightleaks.org open along with links to the digital versions.

We want to thank you all for supporting our humble magazine, and especially to those who contributed over the years, particularly Gary Moyer, Steph Parke, and of course my wife, Rachel who did a lot of the work behind the scenes. Best to you all in your future low-fi photographic adventures!

Mike Barnes (toycamera@rogers.com)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drat. I always miss the boat and I just got a holga.

GothamTomato said...

This is really sad news. It was a beautiful magazine; interesting images, beautifully printed.

As a magazine lover, I hate to see another one bite the dust!

Christine Candora-Hickey said...

I am so bummed. It's too bad - I wonder if something like MagCloud or LuLu would have saved them.